Item Expiration

"Your rules are bad and you should feel bad!"
Locked
Plot
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:40 am

Item Expiration

Post by Plot » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:09 pm

I strongly prefer moving to a date based, bi-annual or annual type expiration system. So much so, that we've begun transitioning to it.

How it works is this:

Items expire on the last day of the month 1 year after the item is dated for.

The date on them, is when they were made.

Current items with Game Uses are given 4 months per game use remaining beginning with the character update after the game they received them.

In the event a player has been on hiatus since before their items expired and returns to game, their equipment is usable for the event but in such poor quality it cannot be scrapped or sold. Such items will be stamped or written on with "POOR".


What are your thoughts?

User avatar
Jay Belarpin
Posts: 512
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:45 pm

Re: Item Expiration

Post by Jay Belarpin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:38 pm

So, using my own character as an example, I have a stack of tags with various game uses. I won't get expiry dates added until I play the character again?

My only downside to expiry date is that it discourages NPCing events. I"m at the event and my items are still expiring but I'm not playing with them.

I like the solution to long hiatus, it seems like an ok compromise.
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.

User avatar
Ander
Posts: 752
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:09 pm

Re: Item Expiration

Post by Ander » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:26 pm

I'm certainly in favor of anything that makes logistics easier to manage and I like the addition of the Haitus/Poor Quality rule.
Jay Belarpin wrote:My only downside to expiry date is that it discourages NPCing events. I"m at the event and my items are still expiring but I'm not playing with them.
This is an interesting point which I had not considered. As we have discussed in previous threads, we certainly don't want to discourage NPCing. As part of the haitus rule, could we add X months to an item for each event NPC'd in the interim? I realize the more complicated we make this, the less benefit received from switching to the date system in the first place, but it does seem like there should be a difference of some sort between NPCing and complete absence from the game.

Plot
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Item Expiration

Post by Plot » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:30 pm

Jay Belarpin wrote:So, using my own character as an example, I have a stack of tags with various game uses. I won't get expiry dates added until I play the character again?
Correct


Regarding NPCing: Each game day someone NPCs the items of their PCs will gain 2 months to offset that issue. If they NPC both days, they'll gain 4 months. Thus if someone NPCs 6 game days or 3 games, gains a whole year for their items.

User avatar
Jay Belarpin
Posts: 512
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:45 pm

Re: Item Expiration

Post by Jay Belarpin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:33 pm

Plot wrote: Regarding NPCing: Each game day someone NPCs the items of their PCs will gain 2 months to offset that issue. If they NPC both days, they'll gain 4 months. Thus if someone NPCs 6 game days or 3 games, gains a whole year for their items.
Depending on implementation this could get just as messy. Do we do "item created on" dates and just note any extensions on the character sheet? Because that seems like the cleanest way to handle extensions.
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.

Plot
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Item Expiration

Post by Plot » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:42 pm

Jay Belarpin wrote:
Plot wrote: Regarding NPCing: Each game day someone NPCs the items of their PCs will gain 2 months to offset that issue. If they NPC both days, they'll gain 4 months. Thus if someone NPCs 6 game days or 3 games, gains a whole year for their items.
Depending on implementation this could get just as messy. Do we do "item created on" dates and just note any extensions on the character sheet? Because that seems like the cleanest way to handle extensions.
That's what I was thinking too.

User avatar
jazzman831
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:56 pm

Re: Item Expiration

Post by jazzman831 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:07 pm

Anything that makes the GM's life easier I'm for. Plus, in a way it encourages coming to play. In the old/current system the more you played the faster your items (depending on game frequency, of course).

The only downside I see is that if there are circumstances beyond the game's control that causes a long spread between games, everyone's equipment still expires. For instance, if you had 4 months left (1 game use) of an item at the July game, you would have been able to use it in the January game in the old system, but not in the new system. As I alluded to before, this system almost requires a game every 4 months (and not 4 months on average, but exactly 4 months). Similarly, if you take, say, a year hiatus for some reason (new kid, new job, whatever), at your first game back you'll have some stuff you can use but at the next game you'll have basically nothing. For equipment-heavy characters I can see this being very devastating.

To clarify, I'm totally for this change, there are just a couple gray areas that need to be ironed out. Hopefully we can figure out a way to do it that doesn't increase the GM's time commitment, or we'll be right back where we started.

Oooooh one thing I just thought of! If you have the item creation date on the card and by default everything expires 1 year from that date, you could use stickers (like the little dot stickers you use for moving) to indicate extensions. Say, make each sticker 2 months, then you get a sticker for every day you NPC, and if we do the new rule for fixers their items would start off with 3 stickers. I realize it's *kind of* the same thing, but it means when N8 is going through a player's bag instead of adding "+2 months" or doing the math on each card he just puts a sticker on all the item cards. And we could do something like if a game is cancelled last minute (due to weather, whatever), everyone who signed up to go could get X stickers, and N8 can just blow through them all at once. Should be a lot faster.
-Jebediah the Proud

Locked