Staggered Karma Gains

"Your rules are bad and you should feel bad!"
Plot

Staggered Karma Gains

Post by Plot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:23 am

So, what are your insights regarding them?

Background: This was an idea intended to curb the power curve of the game. It was believed to be the least intrusive and fairest method.

This topic Closes on February 5th at 2300 of 2016
Last edited by Plot on Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonkiss

Re: Staggered Karma Gains

Post by Dragonkiss » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:34 am

Obviously as a higher level player, I am against this. I still have a TON of stuff to buy that doesn't overpower the game. I make it a POINT of my game to give a "newer" character at least one item they can use each game so that my crafting is useful to everyone. Also, I pay the same damn price as everyone, give me my XP.
No, no, no! Not a doctor, THE Doctor. Band-aid? Blood transfusion? Armor Upgrade? Cyberware? Jelly baby? Step into my box...

Jay Belarpin

Post by Jay Belarpin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:36 am

I see the value in them even if I have no strong attachment to them.

Could you perhaps describe in more detail what causes them to impede updates? Perhaps if we could find a technological solution then this would be a non-issue.
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.

Ander

Post by Ander » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:41 am

As a player/character who likes to have all the things, I am instinctively averse to this. However, looking at it from the perspective of the game, rather than just as a player, I understand the need for it. Scaling mods to account for player groups of such wildly disparate levels presents a bit of a conundrum. Generally speaking, I think most problems caused by OP characters are covered under our "don't be a dick" clause, but unfortunately that is fuzzy territory and may be vulnerable to misinterpretation.

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:26 am

I guess the question is this: does having too big of a karma gap between long-time players and newcomers cause balance issues or make the game less fun for either player?

If yes, then you have to do staggered karma gains. It's a common trope in roleplaying (almost all games with levels take progressively more XP to get to the next level, and in addition, some of them make you do more work to earn the same amount of XP), and I can't think of any other method that would be fair to everyone. The question then becomes whether the current system is appropriate. I'd say it's a little too conservative, given that the "better" skills tend to cost more anyway. Part of the reason I took Chi Mastery so soon is that I knew if I took it now I could earn the karma for it in a little more than 3 game=days; if I took it later it could take up to 15 game-days. Muscle Control's cost is exponential, so even without staggered karma gains you will naturally buy it slower as you get higher in karma.

If no, then I'd say make the karma gains the same no matter what your karma pool. It's more fun for higher level players because they get their goodies, and like Dragonkiss said, you don't pay a premium for karma as you grow your character.

As to the question of whether disparate karma levels causes issues with gameplay or fun, I can't fully answer that. I can honestly say in my first two games I haven't felt left behind by joining up with high-level characters. I think there's also enough abstractness to the game that while I can tell when someone has more karma than me (they can do more things more often), it's really hard to tell how much more. I feel like the GM/NPC staff does a pretty good job of adjusting encounters to match mixed groups of characters as well. But on the other hand, I can totally see why a higher-level character would get annoyed at us pipsqeaks who don't have any equipment and who die all the time.
-Jebediah the Proud

Plot

Results

Post by Plot » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:14 am

No changes are taking place at this time.