Double Hooking

"Your rules are bad and you should feel bad!"
Plot

Double Hooking

Post by Plot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:20 am

Should Double Hooking -the process by which a PC volunteers time to NPC- be mandatory?

This topic Closes on February 5th at 2300 of 2016.

Dragonkiss

Re: Double Hooking

Post by Dragonkiss » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:38 am

Nope. Right now, I am a person with "short wheels". If I am absolutely required to double hook to receive full XP, karma, whatever, I am against that. Also this is pretty much why I have not gone to check out Dystopia Rising. DO NOT FORCE ME TO PAY MONEY AND NPC. While I understand the need for this with such low attendance numbers, this should be more of an incentive to players and staff to recruit more bodies.
No, no, no! Not a doctor, THE Doctor. Band-aid? Blood transfusion? Armor Upgrade? Cyberware? Jelly baby? Step into my box...

Ander

Post by Ander » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:03 am

I am the one who suggested this topic, not because I am particularly pushing for it, but because I am curious to hear peoples opinions of it.

As mentioned in the previous post, this is directly tied to the issue with lack of attendance and, even when we have a higher attendance, lack of dedicated NPCs. NPCing for an event seems like it is already pretty highly incentivized, but most people would rather play their character, which is where Double Hooking comes in. Making it mandatory is obviously the most extreme option, but perhaps it could be more highly incentivized. At the moment I am not against the idea of it being mandatory, but I'm also not convinced it's the best course of action.

A related issue I brought up (and if this is going to be it's own thread let me know and I'll drop it until then) would be a sort of "Reverse Double Hooking" in which a dedicated NPC gets to play their PC character for one mod per game. I have seen this done in a few games and I think it removes one of the barriers to people NPCing for whole events. The main reason why I have never been a dedicated NPC is that my character generally has at least one thing to do anywhere we go. The option to show up briefly to take care of his wizardly business and then wander off distractedly while I NPC would remove this obstacle for me.

Jay Belarpin

Post by Jay Belarpin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:58 am

The problem with double hooking, mandatory or voluntary, for me is that a player can miss something they wanted to go on because they are NPCing the event. I know this because I've missed opportunities in both scenarios. The only way I'm ok with double hooking is if my character isn't interested in the mods I'm missing or if my character couldn't be involved with the mods.

I know they kinda fell through the cracks but there have been some things [Edit: we have tried in the past] to encourage double hooking:
- +2 karma per game day for a 3-4 hour NPC shift.
- Option to gamble/scavenge during a 3-4 hour NPC shift. You might lose some body or bullets but you might get great rewards.

We should absolutely make both of them a thing if we want to see more double hooking.

As to a lack of full time NPCs, I agree that reverse double hooking is a great solution to implement. So long as we can keep it from gumming up PC mod time with Nate doing logistics for the NPC.
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.

Ander

Post by Ander » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:17 am

I quite like the gambling/scavenging option. I'm not clear, is this something that already exists in wastelands and I was unaware of it or is it something you are proposing we add? If the former, it should really be made more obvious because that is a pretty good incentive. If the latter, I'm fully in favor of adding it.

As far as the Reverse Double Hooking I was envisioning it as something you would have to decide at or before the beginning of the game, rather than as a wildcard you can save for when the PC's need an extra person. This would allow the GM to plan for and work around it. I also think it makes the most sense from an in-game perspective because otherwise you would end up with characters just showing up at the most metagamingly convenient time based on information they, due to not being present, would not possess.

Jay Belarpin

Post by Jay Belarpin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:25 am

The gamble/scavenge option was available at the Goblin Market game, but nobody ended up using it because we all forgot about it. It hasn't been heard from since.

I guess if the GM were in charge of when you got to do your reverse double hook that could work out.

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:49 am

I would say first of all, double-hooking should not be mandatory. There are too many downsides and it creates a vicious cycle (we don't have enough players so we double hook, which makes people not want to attend). That being said, I think there are still a few items to discuss on the topic:

Visibility
As a new player, I knew that you had the option to NPC, which was free. I may or may not have known that you get slightly more karma (but the way you could spend it confused me at first, for sure). What I didn't know was how many NPC's are generally needed, and how many people typically NPC. Increasing visibility of how many NPC's are needed/wanted for a particular game as well as how many people have already signed up might help people decide if they want to NPC.

Rewards
As I mentioned earlier, I knew that you got more karma for NPCing, though I didn't know it was +2 for a 3-4 hour shift, and I didn't know about the gambling option. I generally enjoyed double-hooking my first game, but I also got essentially no loot until the last day, at which time there were few enough characters that Neight played all the NPC's and we didn't need to double hook anymore. As a higher level character it might not make that big a difference, but as a first-time character with one gun, 50 bullets (all but 5 of them donated by another character), and Armored Clothing, I felt like I was really going to have to scramble at the beginning of my second game. Having the gamble/scavenge option sounds like it'll let you be "in the game" without being in the game.

Time
I always thought that, aside from double hooking, NPCing was an all-or nothing thing. I didn't know you could do just a 3-4 hour shift. Right now, I'm having too much fun playing my character to want to agree to spend the entire weekend NPCing, but I'd be more than happy to take a 4-hour shift, especially if I get a small boost for doing so.

Come to think of it, all three of my points include the phrase "I didn't know", so maybe it all just goes back to visibility.
-Jebediah the Proud

Jay Belarpin

Post by Jay Belarpin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:09 am

Point of order that is now reflected in my post about it. The additional encouragements were not official policies but things that were in effect at one point or another in the past.

Plot

Results

Post by Plot » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:13 am

Topic locked

Plot

Double Hooking Results

Post by Plot » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:06 pm

NPCing won't be made mandatory. Further, the perks of doing it will be made more visible. For now, they'll go on the wiki. They'll also be covered in the rulebook in March. They will also be posted on Facebook And at the event.

NPCing perks

Full time NPCs
Earn 10 Karma and 10 Rads
Equipment gains 4 months of game usage
May choose to play one of their characters, sans crafting, for a mod or 3-4 hours during the weekend.
Moderately awesome grab bag for each day they NPC.

Part time NPCs
+2 Karma per 4 hour shift
Option to gamble on something big or 'find work' during your 4 hour shift.
You roll some dice, we look at a chart and stuff happened while you were out there. Sometimes you'll be affected by status effect(s) or health loss; sometimes you'll learn some info; sometimes you'll find something useful; could be any combination too.
Finding work can be a variety of things but it all works the same. You get a flat 10 Salvage or 60 allins, your choice.