Jay Belarpin

Karma Spend Limits

Post by Jay Belarpin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:08 pm

Annalyse to start.

-------
Final Decision Space
-------

This topic resolved itself.
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.

jazzman831

Re: Karma Spend Limits

Post by jazzman831 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:20 pm

I have been authorized to post the topic so we can start discussion:

Has anyone ever considered a 'per game' karma buy limit? For instance, let's say you are a solider with 0 Beatdown, and you decide you want to max out your buys. In between games, someone could potentially buy all 8 of the beatdowns needed. Storyline-esque, though, it doesn't really fit, as you can't become an amazing bodybuilder overnight (believe me, Tashia has tried). So, it would make sense based on character development to limit the buys between games to only 2 or 3 each.
-Jebediah the Proud

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:41 pm

My first thought was that there's already a pseudo-limit in place due to the fact that you only get so much karma per day. That soldier would need 32 karma to get all 8 buys at once, and there's not a very high chance he would have that from just one game -- and if he collected it between multiple games, why bother saving it just to spend it all on things you could have been slowly improving at (this being less likely to die at the next game)?

That being said, I can't find the post/document that lays out how much karma you get, but for lower-karma characters playing 3-day games, you could get a pretty good chunk in one go, especially if you have a few karma left over from earlier. I'm not opposed to setting limits on what you could buy between games, though I also don't know that I'd want to be the one to have to come up with those limits. I guess you could always do something scaling, like you can't buy up more than half of your max ranks (rounded down) per game? Using the beatdown example, Adepts could buy as many as they wanted (beatdown is more magical for them than it is physical), Agents could buy 2, weak Fixers and Magicians could only buy 1, and beefy soldiers could buy 4.

At the end of the day, I think change is really more to flavor than gameplay, so it doesn't really bother me either way. It's mostly just fun to think about.
-Jebediah the Proud

Plot

Post by Plot » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:07 am

It is located just prior to the Skill cost by class, right after Classes.

NPCing will grant you 10 Karma and 15 Rads per day that you may spend on any of your PCs.

Karma earned per game day will be based on the Karma of the character played during an event.
Less than 100 Karma = 9 Karma and 9 Rads per game day
101 through 150 Karma = 7 Karma and 7 Rads per game day
151 through 200 Karma = 6 Karma and 6 Rads per game day
201 through 250 Karma = 5 Karma and 5 Rads per game day
251 through 300 Karma = 4 Karma and 4 Rads per game day
301 through 350 Karma = 3 Karma and 3 Rads per game day
351 through 400 Karma = 2 Karma and 3 Rads per game day
401+ Karma = 1 Karma and 2 Rads per game day

Please note, when the current rules discussions are finished and the rulebook is revised there will no longer be diminished returns on Rads. In truth, I've not followed the Rads schedule posted (in your favor) and truly dislike the reduced reward for playing. So expect Rads/game day to become a flat rate without regards to PC Karma earned. That value will be something between 5 and 7.

Ander

Post by Ander » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:18 am

jazzman831 wrote:I have been authorized to post the topic so we can start discussion:
Verifying. Please Wait... ... ... Authorization Accepted.
jazzman831 wrote:My first thought was that there's already a pseudo-limit in place due to the fact that you only get so much karma per day. That soldier would need 32 karma to get all 8 buys at once, and there's not a very high chance he would have that from just one game -- and if he collected it between multiple games, why bother saving it just to spend it all on things you could have been slowly improving at (this being less likely to die at the next game)?
This was pretty much my first thought. There is no practical reason to save up huge amounts of karma except for individual skills that cost that much. The system as it is makes the simplest course of action buying skills at a rate that makes sense. The scenario of saving up a whole bunch of karma and then buying a ton of lower cost skills all at once not only has no story explanation, it also has no mechanical advantage. If someone wants to put themselves at a disadvantage for the privilege of making their story not makes sense... *shrug*

wormyxl

Post by wormyxl » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:13 am

I'm not sure this is something that is needed. I'm going to make an example using Person A and Person B... Person B is a Fixer and has been saving for Heavy Weapons. Just before getting enough Person B decides they'd rather have more levels of Electronics and purchase 6 more levels of electronics. From Person A's perspective Person B has suddenly gained a lot of crafting knowledge. Person B could also have had that much Electronics all along and never told Person A. If Person A suddenly finds out that Person B has all these levels of Electronics, it will seem like Person B has suddenly acquired those skills.

The TL:DR there is always a way to rationalize someone other than you getting a large jump in skills. If you want to impose these restrictions upon yourself because you feel like it doesn't make sense for you... you can always do that. There is nothing preventing you from not spending all your Karma at once.

AnnalyseTaenarys

Post by AnnalyseTaenarys » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:39 am

All points are making sense. :)

I mostly made this consideration mid-thought during another section, so feel free to ixnay if it doesn't work on any other skills. (It just made sense to me during the PBS topic discussion)

Plot

Post by Plot » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:37 pm

Karma spend limits is fundamentally a decent topic. What if unlimited skills instead had a cap of 10. All skills could be bought at cost up to their cap. After which the cost goes up by ___ and can be bought at that cost up to their cap (10 for previously Unlimited) before going up again by ___.

Thoughta?

AnnalyseTaenarys

Post by AnnalyseTaenarys » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Plot wrote:Karma spend limits is fundamentally a decent topic. What if unlimited skills instead had a cap of 10. All skills could be bought at cost up to their cap. After which the cost goes up by ___ and can be bought at that cost up to their cap (10 for previously Unlimited) before going up again by ___.

Thoughta?

I REALLY like this idea!

Jay Belarpin

Karma Spend Limits

Post by Jay Belarpin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:50 pm

Plot wrote:Karma spend limits is fundamentally a decent topic. What if unlimited skills instead had a cap of 10. All skills could be bought at cost up to their cap. After which the cost goes up by ___ and can be bought at that cost up to their cap (10 for previously Unlimited) before going up again by ___.

Thoughta?
You mean instead of scaling karma like we have now? Because this was one of the other suggestions to how to balance high level players with low. We went with the way we did to avoid the "everybody does the same build" problem. Either way, it seems kinda off topic.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to limiting how a player chooses to spend their karma. Why? I see no benefit.
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.