Crafting System

Not open... yet
Ander

Re: Crafting System

Post by Ander » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:15 pm

Plot wrote:My vote is to completely remove mid-game crafting and maintain the bonus for pre-game crafting.
... Second.

(Please read this in Scruffy's voice.)

AnnalyseTaenarys

Post by AnnalyseTaenarys » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Jay Belarpin wrote:
What is effort?
Effort would best be described as the application of expertise over time. A novice mechanic might take 45 minutes to do an oil change, an expert might take 5 (for example). Likewise, a character with one level of engineering might make a component or two in the time it takes an expert (7+ with some master crafting) to pump out buckets of them.
Thank you! This explains exactly what I was thinking along the lines of effort versus time expenditure! Time doesn't need to be a factor for crafting as the effort increases as expertise increases! Done!
Plot wrote:My vote is to completely remove mid-game crafting and maintain the bonus for pre-game crafting.
.......third!.

(Please read this in Annalyse's voice.....even though Tashia hates the number 3; though someone else could be third and I'll be fourth...)

Olive Wilson

Post by Olive Wilson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:51 pm

I got you ;)

Third!

Now Tashia is 4th ;)

Muse

Post by Muse » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:51 pm

Dude man, like 5th. What were we talking about?

wormyxl

Post by wormyxl » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:37 pm

Honestly that satisfies the major goal of this... reduce burden on the gm. I would like to see a more round number used for effort then though if the choice is to have it be only "pre-event" crafting.

So with this change, all crafting becomes 9 effort per level per event? Or are you still going to keep the "per day you attend" part, making it 4 per level per day with a bonus 1 per day if you stay for the full two days? Could also just bump it up to 5 effort per level per day or drop it down to the old 4 effort per level per day...

Jay Belarpin

Post by Jay Belarpin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:12 am

wormyxl wrote:Honestly that satisfies the major goal of this... reduce burden on the gm. I would like to see a more round number used for effort then though if the choice is to have it be only "pre-event" crafting.
Why?

wormyxl wrote:So with this change, all crafting becomes 9 effort per level per event? Or are you still going to keep the "per day you attend" part, making it 4 per level per day with a bonus 1 per day if you stay for the full two days? Could also just bump it up to 5 effort per level per day or drop it down to the old 4 effort per level per day...
Currently players get 4 effort per day, and get the bonus only when they play multiple days. So a one day player gets 4, a two day player gets 9, and if we ever had a 3 day event (as in, a 3 day weekend event) then any players in for the whole weekend would get 14 (4*3+2)

The formula for each level of effort is:

4 * game days in attendance + (game days in attendance - 1)

Bumping up to just doing 5 for each buy per day is a buff to crafting that crafting doesn't need. It makes things a little bit simpler, yes, but crafting is already pretty strong. I say this as somebody who has a lot to gain from the suggested buff as one of my characters has 100+ karma in crafting skills.
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:29 am

Not to derail the seconding train, but I'm only for ending mid-game crafting on the condition that we enact one of the other uses for "extra" effort that have been discussed (or possibly some other idea that hasn't been brought up yet). Otherwise, I'd rather have the option, even if generally nobody uses it.

The only good reason for mid-game crafting right now is if you don't have components at the start of the game, but manage to obtain some during the first game day. You sacrifice 1 effort per level in order to be able to use the rest of your effort. If we remove all mid-game crafting, then there's no way to use all your effort if you don't start the game with enough salvage/components (except for jury-rigging, which has had 3 replacement systems proposed for it this discussion period alone).
-Jebediah the Proud