Magician Class

Not open... yet
Jay Belarpin

Magician Class

Post by Jay Belarpin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:07 pm

-------
Final Decision Space
-------

The class itself will remain unchanged with the exception of its niche skill and Death Touch Spell. Rulebook and hidden spells will also be tweaked. Including Former Cultist and Druid spells.

These changes will also affect Druids, Former Cultists, Free Spirits and any other hidden spellcaster classes.
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.

Plot

Re: Magician Class

Post by Plot » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:53 pm

Should Magicians be a Tier 2 unlockable class?

Ander

Post by Ander » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:24 am

Plot wrote:Should Magicians be a Tier 2 unlockable class?
Well, my immediate gut reaction was 'nope'. As were the subsequent several reactions. I am always open to being convinced though. Could you elaborate?

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:51 pm

I would also be open to hearing arguments to the contrary, but my thought is this: the base classes available to any player set the basic level of expectations in the game world. In the current rulebook, soldier and agent tell you that combat, especially gun combat, is prevalent. Fixers tell you technology is prevalent (though the high cost of thermoptic camo and exo armor tell you that the REALLY good stuff is rare, but accessible). Adepts tell you that melee combat is prevalent, and adepts and mages tell you that magic is prevalent in both overt and subtle forms. I think if I read the rulebook for the first time and magicians weren't in it (therefore the entire spell chapter too, save the elf and leshy abilities), I would get a very different impression about the game than what exists in reality.

I've got more I could say, but I'll wait until I hear what the argument for this change would be.
-Jebediah the Proud

Plot

Post by Plot » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:39 pm

I'm looking for ways to balance the class with possible changes. Does anyone have any ideas?

Jay Belarpin

Magician Class

Post by Jay Belarpin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:03 pm

I keep going back and forth between making it a rad unlock or not. If we do, they should probably get some sort of starting buff like free focus.

As to balancing magicians vs others, you'd basically need to either amp up how much negative there is to playing a magic type such as story negatives or further raising costs for non-magic stuff or let everybody have access to magic. What makes magicians powerful isn't the ability to throw a 300 point firebolt, its that access to magic lets them access so much that every other class is blocked from.

Swordguy

Post by Swordguy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:03 am

Jay Belarpin wrote:I keep going back and forth between making it a rad unlock or not.
If I may ask, why?

I can actually think of a couple of reasons, but I'd like to know what prompted the line of thought before I throw my hat in the ring.
Mission, Method, Morals...all negotiable.

Jay Belarpin

Post by Jay Belarpin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:23 am

Honestly, I have trouble putting it into words otherwise I'd have already stated it. The best summary seems to mirror N8s comments about balancing magic users.

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:36 am

I'm not sure what makes Magicians unbalanced-ly powerful, but then again, not playing a Magician, I probably don't even know half of the things I don't have access to. What if we took some of these innate abilities that are deemed too powerful and turned them into skills instead?

Honestly though I think we've got the balance right, or we'd be seeing a TON more Magicians.
-Jebediah the Proud

Ander

Post by Ander » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:33 am

I haven't really noticed any of these balance issues either, and I have played a magician. I am having trouble forming a coherent opinion on this without specifics as to what problem we are solving.