Silent Combat

Not open... yet
Ander

Re: Silent Combat

Post by Ander » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:08 pm

What Olive said about what jazzman said ^ :)

Honestly though, I think a complete overhaul of the combat and health system is a bit beyond the scope of this thread, and probably beyond the timeframe of this years rules discussion. Certainly not something to be rushed, but intriguing nevertheless.

Felix Birch

Post by Felix Birch » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:34 pm

What Ander said about what Olive said about what Jazzman said. :D ^^^

wormyxl

Post by wormyxl » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Yeah, an overhaul is likely a yearlong endeavor with possibly some small playtests scattered throughout. I'd love to pitch in on it but it is most definitely outside the scope of this thread or the updates being discussed.

AnnalyseTaenarys

Post by AnnalyseTaenarys » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:11 am

What Felix said about what Ander said about what Olive said about what Jazzman said. (Plus the other stuff Ander said) ^^^^ :P

Swordguy

Post by Swordguy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:10 am

No. I refuse to follow the trend.

Silent combat is...problematic. It works just fine in 1-v-1s. When you get a 4-v-1 smackdown, it completely falls apart because everyone's swinging different damage values. Which means as the game grows, it gets less workable in practice.

Of course, verbal combat doesn't work super-well in 4-v-1 smackdowns either, because it's hard to track damage when you're being hit for 11, 6 Magic Direct, 3, and 9 simultaneously.

The problem, of course, is people all being able to swing for different base damage.

Frankly, I agree that the entire combat system needs an overhaul. This entire topic is really only an issue because people can swing different base damages. If melee damage was always fixed (ex. 1-H weapons do 5; if you don't know what hit you, assume 1-H damage), and you could only increase damage through X-per-day karma-bought skills which have to be verbally articulated (ie, the same way guns work), then this entire conversation would be moot and silent combat would actually make the most sense as the default combat mode.

I also agree that completely rewriting the combat system is beyond the scope of a yearly review thread. That doesn't mean it doesn't need to happen.

(Also, color-coding weapons needs to not ever, ever, happen. Not just because it looks completely terrible, but because - unlike Dagorhir - we do stuff like "play at night." Color-coding is less than helpful at night.)
Mission, Method, Morals...all negotiable.

AnnalyseTaenarys

Post by AnnalyseTaenarys » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:20 am

What Felix (Rob) said. ^ ;)