Silent Combat

Not open... yet
Jay Belarpin

Silent Combat

Post by Jay Belarpin » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:40 pm

-------
Final Decision Space
-------

Going to pause on this, move it to a back burner and make no decision on it until we've as a group throughly gone over it.
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.

Plot

Re: Silent Combat

Post by Plot » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:49 pm

The goal is not to make combat totally silent but to reduce the volume of calls we make to allow for more roleplaying and combat convo's. Like "over here" and "help I've fallen and can't get up" and "duuuuuude not cool maaaaan".

Bullets have long since been a part of silent combat. If you're struck by one it's automagically assumed to be 10 balistic unless someone makes a different call.

Melee combat can therefor go with less damage calls after the initial few swings/hits. Whereby once the person (s) you're engaged in melee with and you know each others damage call, you take that amount when hit by them. If you choose to do less damage, start calling a lower amount and if you use a skill/ability that lets you do more, call it.

Thoughts?

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:02 pm

I like the idea in theory, but I don't think I personally have the mental capacity to handle it. I have enough trouble keeping track which of my 5 melee damage calls to use in the heat of combat (not to mention my slowly-increasing ranged options); add in having to remember who knows my damage and what damage people are doing to me, and I fear my accuracy rate for both calling and giving damage would approach 50/50 at best.

That being said, I'm good at keeping track of how many bullets it takes to take be down. If we did silent-ish combat for, say, any damage 10 or higher, or anything in multiples of 5, I could probably handle it. If anyone has multiple attacks, even if they are straightforward, I probably won't figure it out.
-Jebediah the Proud

Olive Wilson

Post by Olive Wilson » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:46 pm

I like the idea. I tend to stop calling damage after the first few throws anyway.
I understand the difficulty keeping track when not in 5s or 10s but I have difficulty keeping track wether it's being called or not. Doing math and trying not to die can be hard regardless of the numbers being called. :P

Ander

Post by Ander » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:31 pm

I suck at mental math and tend to just fall over when it seems like I should be dead by now...

(Possibly terrible) idea: we could borrow a trick from Dagorhir and have color coded weaponry. i.e. red for one handed, blue for two handed, green for stabby. Default damage values assumed for those types. This would mostly be used for generic boffer weapons (i.e. claws). Of course many people have fancy-shmancy weapons that would suffer from debilitating lameness if forced to be color coded so obviously continuing to use those and calling damage would be an option.

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:43 pm

Ander wrote:I suck at mental math and tend to just fall over when it seems like I should be dead by now...
TBH, my method isn't much different. Maybe silent-ish combat wouldn't be as bad as I think, though I feel I tend to be conservative when guessing to avoid cheating. If I can't remember if that guy was hitting me with 2's or 5's, I'll just assume it's 5's.
Ander wrote:(Possibly terrible) idea: we could borrow a trick from Dagorhir and have color coded weaponry. i.e. red for one handed, blue for two handed, green for stabby. Default damage values assumed for those types.
We kind of do this now, as base damage is tied to size (and for some weapons, number of hands used to wield it) for 90% of normal weapons. But the idea breaks down when you put Beatdown into the mix, since it adds to the base.
-Jebediah the Proud

Ander

Post by Ander » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:32 am

jazzman831 wrote:But the idea breaks down when you put Beatdown into the mix, since it adds to the base.
Fuck. I forgot about Beatdown.

wormyxl

Post by wormyxl » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:49 pm

So... this may be an unpopular opinion, but you could overhaul the attack/health system to be more reliant on uncalled attacks that do 1 and then have special attacks that do more than that. Ex: beat down wouldn't be a constant +1 to all attacks... it would be one attack for 10. You'd want to switch to a more "encounter" based limit on skills as opposed to a per day so that people feel like they are able to do stuff... but it has worked VERY well for some other games I've attended. If this is something that has a fraction of a chance to be wanted I could write up a full list of changes to major components to the game as an example.

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:58 pm

I'm not opposed in theory, as combat definitely could stand to be simplified, but it's too fundamental of a change for me to advocate for right now. It would require an overhaul of just about every rule in existence. Cool to think about if we ever want to design "Version 2.0" (or maybe it's 3.0 by now?), but I don't think anyone's there yet. Plus, I barely have a handle of all the rules as they are, I'd never be able to remember new ones :-p
-Jebediah the Proud

Olive Wilson

Post by Olive Wilson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:19 pm

What jazzman said ^