Additional Use of Crafting Buys

Not open... yet
Jay Belarpin

Additional Use of Crafting Buys

Post by Jay Belarpin » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:40 pm

Decision space:

I'm presently evaluating this thread. Please standby.
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.

AnnalyseTaenarys

Re: Additional Use of Crafting Buys

Post by AnnalyseTaenarys » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:04 pm

So, here’s what Bryan and I were talking about. I’m still fleshing the idea out, so feel free to add or edit things as you see fit.

I am one of the characters that has a lot of levels in crafting and I find myself scrounging to complete all my effort in each one. In some instances, I run out of salvage and/or components to be able to craft.

Therefore, here is what I’m considering: a player can use their extra crafting efforts to do one of two things –

1.) Buy additional salvage (amount per effort can be decided later)
2.) Buy a temporary skill to use for that game.

For Option 1, the stipulation should probably be that you can only use your efforts to purchase salvage if you use the entirety of your remaining efforts on salvage or skills. In other words, you can’t buy salvage to use at the same time for more crafting.

For Option 2, there would be a list of temporary skills that you could buy to use that game, based on which area of crafting level you have. Bryan and I talked about the following options for temporary skills and their cost in effort for the varying craft skills (view attachment for a better image of the table below):

Skill Chm Elc Enc Eng Med Description
Acid Vial 3 - - - - Next melee attack is deals acid damage and increases damage by 1
Adrenaline High - - - - 1 Ignore next 1 point of body damage
Ball Bearings - - - 3 - Next melee attack is massive and increases damage by 1
Barbed Needle - - - - 3 Next injection deals 2 normal in addition to its usual effects
Battle Hardening - - - 1 - Ignore next 1 point of non-direct damage
Chemical Buffer 4 - - - 6 Resist next 1 chemical effect
Environment Buffer 1 - - 2 - Ignore next 1 point of elemental damage
Grounding Plate - 3 - - - Resist next 1 electrical stun
Grounding Wire - 1 - - - Ignore next 1 point of lightning damage
Improved Trap 1 1 1 1 1 Increase damage of trap set using skill by 1
Intense Focus - - 1 - - You start the game with 1 more mana (cannot be replenished when used)
Magic Boost - - 3 - - Next melee attack deals magic direct damage
Shock Absorbers - - - 3 - Resist next 1 ballistic/physical stun
Short Circuit - 3 - - - Next melee attack deals lightning and increases damage by 2
Sterile Technique 6 - - - 4 Next use of First Aid, Surgery, or Injections heals an additional 1 body
USB Key - 4 - - - Bypass 1 electronic lock or password (GM discretion)

Multiple “buys” of skills could be used separately or joined together. For instance, two buys of Barbed Needle could let you do 4 normal with your next injection, or you could deal 2 normal with your next 2 injections.

We came up with three possible ways the skills could be used:

1. Like normal skills, where you can trigger their use at will
2. Like an item that automatically triggers the next time the situation arises after it is activated (this represents more of a jury-rigging aspect). It could either be activated at the start of the game (so your widget is created and activated during the pre-game logistics period), or it could be activated at will (the widget has an “on” switch).

Option 1 could also be translated into a skill if you think about it. Something like an Efficient Crafter skill, where you get to roll a dice to see how much additional salvage you receive for buying that skill this round. This would also prevent people from buying too much salvage if it’s left up to the roll of a dice.

So, with that, my brain dump is done, so feel free to comment! Let me know if I need to clarify anything. :D

Olive Wilson

Post by Olive Wilson » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:24 pm

I really like this idea. I'm starting to get more into crafting and I'm sure I'll eventually run into the same problem you have. I really like both options, getting more salvage and temporary skills.
If we buy temporary skill would they be written down on a card with an expiration date like we do with items? That would be kinda nice because I'd probably forget what I bought. :P

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:11 pm

I was thinking either a temporary item card or it could just be written on your character sheet for that game. Since they could only be used for 1 game, you would just need a way to remember what you bought for that game and not accidentally use something you bought at a previous game.
-Jebediah the Proud

Plot

Post by Plot » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:57 pm

jazzman831 wrote:I was thinking either a temporary item card or it could just be written on your character sheet for that game. Since they could only be used for 1 game, you would just need a way to remember what you bought for that game and not accidentally use something you bought at a previous game.
Different colored item cards?

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:03 pm

That would certainly work.
-Jebediah the Proud

Ander

Post by Ander » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:09 pm

Heh, funnily enough my "Supplier Skill" post was designed to solve pretty much the same problem. Great minds and all that. I actually quite like the idea of 'buying' temporary skills. I'm curious whether they would be transferable (i.e. whether I could make a "Magic Boost" card and then use it to make someone elses attack do magic direct damage)

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:38 pm

Ander wrote:I'm curious whether they would be transferable (i.e. whether I could make a "Magic Boost" card and then use it to make someone elses attack do magic direct damage)
We had actually thought about that, but we didn't want to put too many things into the initial post. My thought was this: they shouldn't be transferable by default. I like to think the skills represent, essentially, jury-rigging something with leftover parts, and the crafter is the only one who could get it to work right (for instance, Short Circuit could represent taking some scrap wire that's too short to use for anything else and using it to connect an almost-dead battery to your sword/pipe/whathaveyou; you, as the crafter, would know how to press the wire to the right spot so that the circuit completes on the next swing).

One option I thought of is having a standard amount (say, +2 effort) or multiplier (say, x2 effort) that allows you to make the device transferable. (You put a little more effort into it, and you add a fool-proof button to your shocker device).
-Jebediah the Proud

wormyxl

Post by wormyxl » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:57 pm

Really like this idea. You "craft" a temporary buff for yourself or someone else that you put on them or their item (just like casting a spell buff). Simply expend some amount of time (tbd later), mark off the effort, and then tell the target what the buff is.

Ander

Post by Ander » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:54 pm

wormyxl wrote:Really like this idea. You "craft" a temporary buff for yourself or someone else that you put on them or their item (just like casting a spell buff). Simply expend some amount of time (tbd later), mark off the effort, and then tell the target what the buff is.
Well, ideally the effort would be expended at the beginning of game. Reducing/removing in-game use of effort was a topic that came up earlier in the rules discussion (tl;dr it reduces strain on game staff. I won't reiterate the whole thread here). But the effort could be expended to create the "item" tag pre-game and then require some amount of time in-game to apply.