Paying Game fee for bonuses while NPCing/Not Attending

Not open... yet
Jay Belarpin

Paying Game fee for bonuses while NPCing/Not Attending

Post by Jay Belarpin » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:23 am

-------

I came back to this. Here's where I am on it:
I'm a fan of pay to catch up/keep up and an adamant adversary of pay to win. Oh and, this discussion and making a decision on it has certainly made me examine other aspects of the game but more of that later.

When a player NPCs they're earning 10 Karma and 15 rads per game day. If they also paid game fee for a PC under 100 Karma they would earn 19karma/game day, 38/event. With 2 such events a starting character would enter the field at 116 karma. So, this seems reasonable.

Likewise if a given player who is PCing wanted their alternate character to earn Karma for an event, so long as their alt were under 100 Karma, yeah sure. As it was pointed out both last year and echoed this year, 100 Karma is sort of the magic number for when most builds come into their own.

What about for characters that have 101 or more karma? Uh, well, the only concession that I came up with was letting players spend $5 for a single extra Karma per game day per character of theirs but I'm not sold on it. If we introduced it, it would be from the date we introduce it -if we do. This would mean a 2day event would only allow you to spend $20 for 2 extra Karma, but lets discuss it.

I'm not sold on added logistics actions either. As Karma benefits everyone equally but logistics actions do not and folks using them are also not spending any resources through game play. That said, what about playing more than one character per event? I'm not really sure, and it's a question I think the playership should have input on.

All of that said, I'll be creating a discussion regarding the $5 single extra Karma for characters. It will remain open for feedback until March 20th at 23:59pm. It will not be implemented until the April game -if players are on board- at the earliest.

Additionally, progressive Rad Gain will be based on the Player and not character karma gains. This was fully a mistake on my part. Beginning at the March 2017 game, Player Characters will earn 5 rads per game day +1 rad per 10 game days. NPCs will Earn twice their base rads per game day.

Also, the Karma scale is going to be adjusted as follows. 100 Karma and under earns 10 Karma per game day
101-220 Karma Earns 8 Karma per game day
221-310 Karma Earns 6 Karma per game day
311-390 Karma Earns 4 Karma per game day
391-450 Karma Earns 2 Karma per game day
451-500 Karma Earns 1 Karma per game day
501+ Does not earn Karma but may spend NPC Karma

So, since Rads belong to the Player and not the character and the desire is to keep brand new players from rolling out an OP character without knowing the rules. I present to you:

Keep Up, Rad Unlockable 50 rads.
The way this works is that any player with 50 or more rads may pay half game fee per game day for each character at or below 100 Karma to earn Karma (but not rads nor logistics actions) for said character.

Missing a game does suck, and I'm open to suggestions regarding characters keeping up when players cannot.

-N8
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.

Drakkon

Re: Paying Game fee for bonuses while NPCing/Not Attending

Post by Drakkon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:39 pm

Hiya folks.

I have always had thoughts about paying but not playing. We would all love to be able to make it to every single game but sometimes things like life get in the way. I believe that if players are willing to still pay the game fee, via paypal for an example, we can still gain the karma for that particular game but no type of plot bonus save for RP in the forums. This will enable the game to continue and i'm sure wastelands will still benefit from the extra game fees especially when it is a low PC event and the game doesn't or barely breaks even for it. My suggestion is this should only be able to be used X amount of times per year, X being defined by N8 of course. As far as paying a game fee for bonuses while NPCing, Jay can speak more to that aspect.
Heh, Amature.

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:01 pm

We had a pay-for-karma discussion last year, and the results seemed to be a fairly resounding "no". BUT, I like the idea of pay-for-no-play. This doesn't allow anyone to get ahead of anyone else by paying more than them; at best you can only keep up with them. It should be pointed out that there's no risk of death to your character for pay-for-no-play, but weighing that against the fact that you also can't craft or find loot/items/plot points, it probably evens out.

I think this should only be allowed for a player who has played at least X games as a PC (I'd argue X = 1, but I would be fine with higher), so that we don't have the issue of someone who hasn't played and doesn't fully understand the rules creating a higher-karma character. I would think this situation would be exceedingly rare, but not impossible (plus the first game is half price, so it gets messy).

Honestly, I don't think there should be a maximum. If we pay 10 games next year and you want to shell out money for each one without attending, I'd say more power to you. I'm getting more benefit from it than you are, since my game has $N*(game cost) to spread between (N - 1) players.

Lastly, if there is an option to pay/play for one day of a multi-day game, there should likewise be an option to pay/no-play for one day. This then makes it worthwhile for me to pay for a whole weekend when I can only play part of it, or pay for part of a weekend when I can't play at all.
-Jebediah the Proud

Ander

Post by Ander » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:19 pm

Agreed. There is a subtle but significant difference between Paying for Karma and paying an "absentee" game fee. One is pay-to-win while the other is simply pay-to-keep-up. I am perfectly OK with this.

Jay Belarpin

Post by Jay Belarpin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:18 pm

I've always been a fan of letting people pay event fees to not play. As is, one can pay the event fee and stick around for like an hour or two before "something comes up" and then leave. With a pay-no-play system, the player in question saves the cost of gas and wear and tear on the car (though they are out a stamp, the horror).

Similarly, I would be totally for a full weekend NPCer having the option to pay a partial (or full) event fee to get their character's logistical period. So they get to continue their research, get their funding, craft their crafting, connect with their connections, and any other between game logistics. This would help encourage more full time NPCing while not detracting from the games revenue.
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:13 am

Jay Belarpin wrote:Similarly, I would be totally for a full weekend NPCer having the option to pay a partial (or full) event fee to get their character's logistical period. So they get to continue their research, get their funding, craft their crafting, connect with their connections, and any other between game logistics. This would help encourage more full time NPCing while not detracting from the games revenue.
The problem I see with this idea is it can't benefit all characters remotely evenly. If we both paid the game fee for NPCing, Tashia would get money, craft a bunch of items, get help from an ally, and follow up on a clue; whereas I would get literally nothing. I'm cool with the idea of finding ways to (optionally) collect more money from NPCs, but we would need to find something that benefits more than fixers.
-Jebediah the Proud

Plot

Post by Plot » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:41 pm

So, pay for either Karma or logistics actions?

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:17 pm

That could work.
-Jebediah the Proud

Ander

Post by Ander » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:30 pm

jazzman831 wrote:but we would need to find something that benefits more than fixers.
*raises hand* Ummm... non-fixer with a pretty substantial logistics period over here. Just saying.

Plot

Post by Plot » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:18 pm

Ander wrote:
jazzman831 wrote:but we would need to find something that benefits more than fixers.
*raises hand* Ummm... non-fixer with a pretty substantial logistics period over here. Just saying.
Non-crafters*