Crafting Recipe Sharing

Not open... yet
Jay Belarpin

Crafting Recipe Sharing

Post by Jay Belarpin » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:21 am

-------
Final Decision Space
-------

I see where folks are coming from. The recipe system as it stands is quite simplified from what real recipes would look like. The arduous process of copying a recipe exactly was meant to be similar to what it would be IRL to copy a recipe for something. Since messing up directions for making a pistol might net you a cool new paperweight instead of something to blast the baddies. It does also have the added benefit of preventing someone just peeking and saying they copied it.
That said, its evident only the latter viewpoint is recognized. So, I propose a 3rd option AND, I'll give folks until Valentines Day (14th of February) to give me their feedback on it.

In addition to the current method of sharing recipes
3) During crafting a player may spend the effort and no components of a given recipe to create a flawless copy of the recipe which expires in 12 months if not added to another characters recipes.

4) You, as the recipe holder spend your free time between games copying it verbatim with Pen and Paper, then at game you hand it to them.
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.

Ander

Re: Crafting Recipe Sharing

Post by Ander » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:11 am

Our current system for recipe trading requires copying out, word for word, the entire recipe as proof that you have learned it. This is intended, understandably, to prevent players from just glancing at a recipe and "knowing" it. However, this can be quite tedious and difficult to find the time within a game to do so. I would propose the following two exceptions to this requirement:

1.) GM Witnessed: If both players can confirm that the in-character trade is occurring legitimately in the presence of a GM, then this would seem (to me at least) to render the further level of proof unnecessary.

2.) Between games: In between games there should be an option for trading recipes (for example describing the trade occurring in the bar, or via pm if both characters are in the same in-game location) so long as the GM is made aware of the legitimacy of the trade.

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:10 am

While admitting I've never needed to share a crafting recipe, I don't think either suggestion has a negative impact on gameplay in any way. No need to make things more complicated than they need; a simple GM sign-off should suffice for such things.
-Jebediah the Proud

Plot

Post by Plot » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:42 pm

Discussion on option 3 ends February 14th at 23:59:59

Jay Belarpin

Crafting Recipe Sharing

Post by Jay Belarpin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:40 pm

I totally get that it's supposed to represent the arduous process of replicating a recipe. The problem is that it's a not-fun mechanic that we have been repeatedly told has to happen in-game. So instead of paying attention to what's going on, role-playing, or going on a mod, you're stuck doing that. What's more, it takes logistics bandwidth to process, which is already a precious resource in limited supply.

Here's the kicker, when a NPC teaches you a recipe you don't have to go through the process, only other players.

I'd rather option 2 over three, but if our options are leave as is or add option 3 then I guess I'd support 3.

Edit: Now that option 4 has been added. It's better than 3 imo but still not as good as 2.

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:57 pm

I'm not sure that I understand #3.

That being said, I get where you are coming from wanting to keep sharing recipes from being 100% successful because in real life if I told someone "this is how you make a gun" they might not get it right the first time. But it probably also won't be so wrong that someone who otherwise has the skills to build a gun couldn't figure it out. So I propose #5:

5) either (1) or (2) above, with the following addition: at your next game logistics period, you must roll a d100 to see if you successfully copied the recipe (success chance based on level of recipe and level of crafting). If the roll fails, you cannot make the recipe that game. You can try again at any logistics period (increasing success chance each try?)

5a) Same as above, but you expend the effort (but not salvage) to roll. This represents actually trying to make the device and discovering you didn't do it right.

Even though I'm proposing it, I think I still like 1 or 2 best :-p

Also side note, are higher level recipes more complicated than lower level ones? Because the ones I've had access to (i.e. rulebook) don't seem like they would be all that hard to copy over, tbh.
-Jebediah the Proud

Jay Belarpin

Post by Jay Belarpin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:37 pm

Name: Junk Launcher*
Notes: Requires Heavy Weapons Skill. Nerf attack, Damage = 20 explosive. Call = “20 Explosive!” Uses 1 unit of salvage as 6 shots of ammo.
Effort Required: 6
Materials Required: 1 Alloyed Metal, 1 Gearing Component, 2 Pistol Frames, 1 Battery
“Utilizes basic combustion and elementary physics to throw jagged metal at your foes. The recoil on this is considerable, so it’s not easy to use without heavy weapons training.”
Signed:
So this is one of the automatic unlocks you get at level 3 for engineering. It is shorter than any of the hidden stuff I have on either character.

Plot

Post by Plot » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:29 pm

Name: Junk Launcher*
Notes: Requires Heavy Weapons Skill. Nerf attack, Damage = 20 explosive. Call = “20 Explosive!” Uses 1 unit of salvage as 6 shots of ammo.
Effort Required: 6
Materials Required: 1 Alloyed Metal, 1 Gearing Component, 2 Pistol Frames, 1 Battery
“Utilizes basic combustion and elementary physics to throw jagged metal at your foes. The recoil on this is considerable, so it’s not easy to use without heavy weapons training.”
Signed:

Option 3 would work like this: If person A were sharing the above recipe, they would simply spend 6 effort during crafting to produce a single perfect copy of this recipe, which they could do whatever with. In this way, they're accomplishing the reduction of in game time spent copying a recipe AND reducing the amount of time a GM needs to spend doing verifications.

GamernoR

Crafting Recipe Sharing

Post by GamernoR » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:59 pm

Hello Ive noticed countless times that I cant access the crafting recipe page in the BTW wiki but have managed since I could just hover to the new items and look for its crafting recipe. Im just curious if I should panic for not accessing the recipe page for lack of information or its been that way?

Kamspuro

Crafting Recipe Sharing

Post by Kamspuro » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:59 am

Alchemy is a hazy area. I could see where it could be allowed with a MW Alchemy Lab. Alchemy items do not radiate magic auras and are crafted in the same manner as mundane items.