Forum Post Karma

Not open... yet
Olive Wilson

Re: Forum Post Karma

Post by Olive Wilson » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:05 am

I think it's a good idea, but I agree with it not being a ton. I really enjoy RPing my character between games. I've really been able to flesh out and develop my character doing the online roll play. Either way, rewards or not, I really like the online RP so I'll continue no matter what.

A little off topic...but since time in the bar really, really does not line up with IRL time especially with people working and sleeping...would if be possible for GMs to say like "the sun is setting/rising" "it is now dark outside" etc. to help notify how much time has passed. I know this happens sometimes but I can never seem to tell if what happens in the bar has happened over the course of a few days or not when IRL it's been weeks.

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:43 am

Olive Wilson wrote:A little off topic...but since time in the bar really, really does not line up with IRL time especially with people working and sleeping...would if be possible for GMs to say like "the sun is setting/rising" "it is now dark outside" etc. to help notify how much time has passed. I know this happens sometimes but I can never seem to tell if what happens in the bar has happened over the course of a few days or not when IRL it's been weeks.
I thought the rules used to say that unless otherwise mentioned, it's one day between games, but I see now that it says "time passes at the speed of plot". So yes, it would be helpful to be a little more explicit about the passage of days for skill resets. (Hours might be nice too, at least for the next 3 hours... :) )
-Jebediah the Proud

Jefferson Hendrix

Post by Jefferson Hendrix » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:24 am

I'm generally against skill resets between games for a variety of reasons. Among them, short of all skills resetting it isn't fair for combat skill based characters to get their skills multiple times between events and not say, funders or crafters. Which, unless we kept to the 'only your forum actions/rp carry over' will quickly unbalance the game if we should FF a month in online RP.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:52 am

I would say as a counter to that, there are (generally) unavoidable conflicts that happen in the bar where combat skills are required, and the only advantage these skills give you is being not dead (and, I think we've established that death should not happen on the boards anyway, or at least, be exceeding rare and only happen in specific circumstances). On the other hand, there aren't any situations that I've seen where crafting skills are unavoidable, and expending your craft skills get you benefits that are realizable at the next game (i.e. stuff). So, if we are going to allow crafting and funding between games, it's unfair to the combat characters to have multiple days pass, not crafters.

All that being said, (and I know this is going even more off topic, which is what we are trying to avoid with this form of rule discussion), I think I'm generally against having multiple and prescribed skill resets between games on the forum, so long as the period of time IRL isn't so long that we end up encountering more than we would on a normal game day. So far, expending one of my 1/day skills hasn't been a burdeon, since so little actually happens in the forum anyway. This might be different if we start doing more and more, especially if we have a long dormant period between games at some point, but I think that's an area where GM discretion kicks in and they can allow a reset on a case-by-case basis.

Additionally, I like the abstract hand-waviness of the forum, and starting to codify too much of it might lead us down into a rabbit hole we don't want to get into. I think currently we generally assume that any easily-replenished consumables (bullets, allins, body, armor, salvage, bandages) spent on the forum are replenished in the "other adventuring" that presumably goes on between games, so there's no need to keep track of every last poker chip and/or make N8 do a bunch of extra accounting between games. But if we start tracking days with precision, then the "other adventuring" time makes less sense, and maybe to keep consistent we would need to start tracking those other things, and then the forum starts becoming more onerous than fun.

I realize this is strictly selfish here, but I do think an exception should be made for Chi Mastery. If one day goes by between games, that means 24 hours and (potentially) 24 individual skill resets. I spend a lot of karma on that skill and gosh-darnit, I want to use it! :-p (Realistically, this can probably be handled with quick "Hey, how many hours have passed since X" PM to one of the GMs instead of an in-game post every "hour").
-Jebediah the Proud