Forum Post Karma

Not open... yet
Jay Belarpin

Forum Post Karma

Post by Jay Belarpin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:00 pm

-----
THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR FINAL DECISIONS
----

I went back and forth on this topic, perhaps more so than any other. That said, I've decided on what I believe to be the most fair. Players with the ability to forum rp may do so for the awesome reward of taking the edge off between games. Plot reserves the right to dole out rewards -which when doing so- will apply across the board whether or not the RP was interacted with. Though, forum RP may continue to net cool rp-rewards.
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.

Ander

Re: Forum Post Karma

Post by Ander » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:28 am

Ok, so I don't really have any specifics fleshed-out for this. But that's what the discussion is for right? Here goes.

Roleplaying on the forums is a lot more than just a time filler between games. It has become, recently in particular, a source of serious plot development. As such, I think it would be reasonable to formalize the rewards for participating in between games. If we can have combat, use skills, exchange items/money and develop characters during forum RP then it seems entirely appropriate that the characters should gain "experience" (karma) as they would for doing the same things at an event.

If this were to be implemented, here are some of the questions we would need to answer:
  • How much? I don't think forum karma should be equivalent to event karma, but I don't feel that I have a firm enough grasp of the "economics" of the karma system to propose any particular value.

• What Qualifies? Just posting "I walk in and have a drink." and then never posting again probably shouldn't be worth the same as actively participating in conversations and events over the course of (oog) weeks. So where do we draw that line? Do there need to be minimum requirements for what constitutes participation?

• [slightly side topic] What if, for plot reasons, a PC cannot show up in the forums? Is the opportunity for karma simply lost? Or should there be an alternative available? (Forum NPCing anyone?)

• Does it have to be Karma? As a voluntary, albeit PC-centered activity, would Rads make more sense? Again, I don't feel as though I fully grok enough about the respective "economics" of these two things to form a useful opinion.
The floor is open for talkin' (and no, smart-asses, this discussion isn't worth karma :p )

jazzman831

Post by jazzman831 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:02 am

I like the idea, in theory, of giving karma for posting, but ultimately I can't come up with a fair way to adjudicate it. If you give it based on good roleplaying, then that's not really fair to people who aren't as good, or who are still working on their skills. If you give it based on certain "scenes" (say, x karma for participating in a certain conflict), then that's not fair to people who want to roleplay, but were unable to post for a period of time. If you base if off of total number of posts, then that's not fair to the people who aren't spamming for karma.

But like Ian said, I like how the forum rounds out the experience and bridges the gap between games, so I'm not against providing a reward. What if we did something like everyone who posts at least 5 times in between games gets 1 karma and 5 rads? It's not gamebreaking either way, but still provides an incentive for someone who might be on the fence about participation, (hopefully) without enticing someone to say their 5 posts then bounce. Exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis for PC's who can't be in the bar for plot reasons (most likely, they chatting privately with N8, so they should still qualify).

Obviously, I think no matter what we decide, Little John should be getting rads for running the forum/NPCing. I don't think any other players run NPCs, but if it ever happens, they should get bonus rads as well.
-Jebediah the Proud

Plot

Post by Plot » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:08 am

I also don't grok but I do know it's nice on my part to be able to provide some depth to coming -and past- events as well as objectively reward folks for immersive RP.

Ander

Post by Ander » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:14 am

Re: jazzman831's point about 'Scene' based rewards:

I didn't want to be the first to bring it up, because it would seem a tad self serving, but yeah. As someone who has missed entire conversations due to an inconvenient sleep/work schedule, I think that basing rewards on specific events in the thread would be problematic from a fairness standpoint.

(Good thing Ander is distractable. Endless excuses for late replies :D )

Jay Belarpin

Post by Jay Belarpin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:34 am

jazzman831 wrote: Obviously, I think no matter what we decide, Little John should be getting rads for running the forum/NPCing. I don't think any other players run NPCs, but if it ever happens, they should get bonus rads as well.
I'm pretty sure I am, but if not I've got like 5 years of backpay coming. Who wants to see a Technomancer [Redacted]!
N8 npcs the forums even more than I do, for the record.

In all seriousness though, we used to award Rads to encourage people to use the forums. If we want to award Karma for then all the better. I'd say it should be a 'Everybody who is clearly trying to stay involved' gets it because people are plenty busy. I know that I've personally missed whole things because I was sleeping or working.
As all of this happened, Bill poured a drink.

Swordguy

Post by Swordguy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:24 pm

Forum Karma should not EVER be a thing, because there is no risk of death for your character (of which I'm aware).

Rads? Fine. Aside from plot people RPing on the forums (because NPCs should always be rewarded for their time), I don't particularly like or expect rewards for forum posting, but if everybody wants rewards, then OK. Do note, though, that I personally have a heavy, heavy aversion to forum-based RPing (and online RPing in general, actually) and I don't want to feel like I'm being forced into it or "have" to RP in order to keep up mechanically.

IMO, if you're going to reward people for posting on the forums, then you must NOT tie it to post quantity. If there's a forum "report" function, perhaps make it that if 2 players (not the poster) and 1 plot person all report a post for excellent RP, then the poster gets 5 rads; with no more than 1 of those rewards awarded per person between each game. That incentivizes people to post because the reward is a meaningful amount of rads, but sidesteps the issues of spam-posting for rewards, and hopefully sidesteps the issue of people posting giant, overly-dramatic RP screeds in hopes of getting more than one reward. And if three different people all agree that the RPing is worthy of a reward, then it probably is (forcing plot to get in on this sets up a control against a PC-run circular agreement to upvote everyone else's posts).
Mission, Method, Morals...all negotiable.

Drakkon

Forum Post Karma

Post by Drakkon » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:43 pm

Gaining a limited amount of karma between games by RPing on the forums I think would be an awesome idea. I believe that it would get more people interested in between game interactions. Now obviously you would place some kind of limit on it and if people choose not to use the forums and gain the rewards then so be it. I feel it's the same premise of npcing, if you choose to do it you can get a little extra rewards but if you don't want to that's ok too. I believe it also gives people that can't make it to the game a chance to gain a little XP for their character.
Heh, Amature.

AnnalyseTaenarys

Post by AnnalyseTaenarys » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:34 pm

I agree that there should be some form of reward for RP-ing between events and Steve said it perfectly, "It's like the extra reward for NPC-ing."

I also agree with Bryan in that it shouldn't be much. N8 and John can make the determination of if the players have RP-ed enough between the games to receive that reward. And it should probably just be a set amount, like 2 Karma or something. Not anything big. (Maybe only 1) Either way, it gives a small incentive, but doesn't punish anyone who chooses not to RP.

That's my thoughts.

Ander

Post by Ander » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:25 am

Having given it some thought I have concluded that, in my opinion, Karma makes more sense than Rads. Rads are tied to the player, Karma is tied to the character. I still think either option would be acceptable, but Karma makes more sense for forum RP which is an in-character activity.